Wednesday, January 30, 2019

First Time Skiing - at Paoli Peaks

This past Monday we were able to be a part of a fantastic field trip. One I never thought that we could ever do. But that was before we moved to SW Indiana. We were a part of a skiing field trip. We did have to drive about 1.5 hours to the location, but that's not much farther then some trips we've done back in SC to go to a beach - or the length of time we'd have to stay in a car because of traffic to get just a few miles.

Another great thing was that my husband was able to come with us this time. He and my son decided they would try out snowboarding. The girls stuck with me to get skis.


The only problem was that there apparently had been a LOT of cancellations of previous planned trips so when we got to the meeting place at Paoli Peaks we found out there were 5 other homeschool groups and 2 school trips!! The lines were SO LONG! That was the least fun part of the entire trip.

Then the boys got done first so they were heading to the slopes while we still stayed in line to get our skiis. Finally a more experienced staff member came out and his line was going SO FAST we jumped lines. After an hour and a piece of waiting we finally got outside, only to find out that my son somehow went down a mcuh harder hill then he should have and my husband couldn't catch up to him. We ended up having to ask someone to go after him. I was so nervous and even though I've been skiing it hadn't been in at least 2 decades!! Thankfully, this nice younger guy found him and brought him back to us ... and in one piece!

 Seanan decided to switch soon after that when he and my husband got tangled up in each other and my husband flipped over him (I think my son decided haphazardly to switch where he was going and that caught my husband off guard.)

After our lunch me and all 3 kids decided to hit the slopes again. This time, I had to teach my son and then we went to the 'flatter' practice (bunny) hill. After a few times down that side the girls said they wanted to go back to the first hill we were on. So we did that a bunch of times. They were really getting the hang of it.


On the ski lift. Not a favorite part for me.

Then we decided to give the family trail a try. They did pretty well, but we went ALL THE WAY to the bottom and the line to get back on the lift was so long. The chairs could take 3 but since we had 4 in our party I didn't want my son to go alone. There were no seat protectors or bars to hold you in. By the time we got back up we had to leave (so dad could get back in town to go to work for his night class that he teaches.)


The girls had it, my son was still learning after switching.

All in all they had a wonderful experience. We learned patience (long lines) and practice will be our friends in the future if we are able to make it to the slopes again. I was impressed with myself of how everything I remember from a teenager about skiing came back to me. I would love to go again ... maybe before the end of the season.


Have you ever been skiing? Any pointers for those of us less experienced? I'd love to hear from you!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker