Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Homeschool Convention Take Aways

This past weekend my husband and I were able to head to our local homeschool convention - local being in Greeneville, SC. I love going to convention. We've gone for several years now and I truly look forward to it - even more so then my birthday - which is kind of funny since some years it's ON my birthday, like this year!

This year was also a little different because our kiddos decided to stay home with their grandparent. So not only was it a great time of refreshment and rejuvenation it was like an extended date night!

And this year it seems I had a theme ... again ... getting back to teaching restfully, with scholé (I'll get to what that is in a few). I listened to people like Dr. Christopher Perrin, Sarah Mackenzie (loved her), Dr. Carol Reynolds, Dr. Jay Wile, and others. They were great but they all seemed to be leaning toward the same message - at least for me. So now, 3 days into the week following the convention, I've been trying to implement some of the things I learned. What are they? Here's some of the tips and ideas I wrote down:

  • Science is more than an academic endeavor. By studying the works of God’s hands we can then hold him in greater awe.
  • Mathematics: A necessary tool for learning the sciences. They are intimately connected.
  • We used to have cultural literacy.  We (homeschoolers) are almost the only people who know about it and still hanging on.
  • Music matters. It helps all cultures.
  • “Our western culture heritage is not an elective. It’s a treasure!” Music unfolds in time and art requires we spend our time.
  • We need to lighten up about our own families. They can act like children. They are supposed to be looking for their boundaries.
  • Don’t join them in the behavior. Give them space.
  • Aristotle says -- Engaging in this restful learning is when we mimic the divine and here we fulfill our capacity of wonder.
  • To engage in scholé is hard to do. Undistracted time to study that which is most worthwhile.
  • We are restless until we find our rest in GOD. This is where we transform scholé. Then we know peace and shalom.
  • Knowing what you want in the future helps you when you are on the ordinary Tuesday to focus on what you should do.
  • Plan about 6-8 weeks (detailed) and then don’t add or take away anything. Then take a “water stop”. Take a few days off and go through what needs adjusting or tweaking.
  • The curriculum is our plan not the master. We are the ones who know our children best, not the curriculum. It is a tool like a hammer or a wrench. You use it when you NEED it.
  • There needs to be room, even in high school, for them to do the things they REALLY enjoy and want to do (cook, art, build, etc.)
  • I don’t want to say at the end I wished we had savored it more. I want to enjoy it more right now. One that is peaceful and where they think “Mom likes to be home with me.”
  • JOY for you, the mom, is an important part of the equation.
  • When we are sincerely interested in something it peaks their (our children's) interest.
  • To really harness joy is to: 1 - Avoid comparison 2 - Avoid drudgery - reframe the day 3 - Think about what lights you up 4 - Make a Tiny Tweak - just 1
So as you can see I have a BUNCH of things I found wonderfully pertinent to help me teach from rest with joy and not to have the curriculum rule my days.  What are your favorite parts of convention? Are you going this season?? If so, I'd love to hear from you!

Homeschool Review Crew Weekly Link Up

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker