Monday, September 5, 2011

Transforming Your HEART - A New TOS Review!!

Well, the ship has set sail and you are cordially invited to sail along with me as a guest upon board of the TOS Homeschool Crew ship.  The day has finally arrived where I bring you the first new review of the year!  Isn't it exciting?  I can't wait so let's jump right in!

The Product:
The very first review for this year is a book. You heard me right, a book.  No, not a curriculum book or a game or toy, a book.  And this book is WONDERFUL!  How to Have a H.E.A.R.T. For Your Kids is a book written by Rachel Carman (published through Apologia Press) that exposes how we really should be learning about and from our kids.
Photobucket

Rachel and her husband have seven children all of who they homeschool, but that was not always so.  Rachel never imagined that she would be the one homeschooling.  She was preparing for life after kindergarten ... you know, when you can send your child off and have all day to cook, clean, and do all the things you couldn't put full effort into while your children are very young.

But something happened during those first few days Rachel and her husband came to the conclusion that it was not safe for them to send their child away, especially after him getting lost, forgotten and learning pretty much nothing.  So they timidly discussed and decided to homeschool ... BUT just for this one year.  Little did the Carman's know that this is the door God was looking for to transform their HEART's, especially Rachel's.

The book includes an ntroduction, five poignant chapters, and an epilogue.  Even though the book looks small, of only 205 pages, every page, every word is full of encouragement, candor, life, and love.  I have felt my heartstrings tugged upon as I read the words on the pages with an open heart and mind.  At the end of each chapter there's also what Rachel calls a "Heart Checkup."  This is the place to stop ... ponder and pray and answer with all honesty.  If you are like me, you will be surprised at your answers.

The five chapters are aptly names for the acronym H.E.A.R.T:

  • H - Have a Heart for the Things of God
  • E - Enrich Your Marriage
  • A - Accept Your Kids
  • R - Release Them to God
  • T - Teach Them the Truth

Within each chapter are short sections that deal succinctly with specific parts of the whole of the chapter. They are full of Rachel's life experiences, trials and triumphs, as well as Scripture.  I have loved how Rachel has poured herself into the pages and I feel I have learned much and still have much to learn.

My Experience:
I feel challenged after reading How to Have a H.E.A.R.T. For Your Kids to really be more intentional in changing my character to match that of God's and therefore being a better example for my three lovely children that I have been blessed with.  One of the statements Rachel made in her book really spoke to me.
She says, "If we were to catch just a glimpse of what these children could do to impact the world for Christ, we would not only be liberated from our short-sighted plans for our kids and their futures, but we might even be rejuvenated for the task of raising and teaching them."
 I have found this to be true.  I believe that the reading of this book was the beginning of my own transformation.  I plan on reading this book again and I've asked my husband to read it.  I know now with an even greater revelation that the choice for my husband and I to homeschool was the only choice we could make.  I have a heavy responsibility to with the help of GOD and my husband, to rear our children and teach them the TRUTH ... It's all about HIM.

This book is available through Apologia Press, a division of Apologia Educational Ministries, Inc., for just $13.  You can also read the table of contents and a sample chapter directly from their site.  If you are contemplating homeschooling, newly homeschooling, or have been homeschooling for years, I truly believe that this book will speak to you.  This book is designed for both parents, not just the mom.
Photobucket
My Thoughts:
I highly recommend you reading this book, but not like any other book.  I suggest reading it one chapter at a time, section by section and really asking yourselves the checkup questions.  I also suggest reading it a second time and even a third until you also Have a H.E.A.R.T. For Your Kids.  Be sure to check out what all my other Crew members thought to learn how others experienced this book.  Happy Reading!



*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2011-2012 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker