Thursday, February 3, 2011

Fun Days with Mini-Units

Well the last two days I've been able to do some "fun school" as my girls call it.  Since yesterday was Groundhog Day and today was Chinese New Year, we spend some time researching and talking about these special days. 

I try to cover some different holidays each year and then I cover the "BIG" holidays (Hanukkah, Christmas, Thanksgiving, Easter/Resurrection Day) every year.  The fun thing about today is we had two extra kids over.

So we made  -- or at least attempted to make -- these very cool paper lanterns; did some cool worksheets which covered alphabetizing, following map cues and geography, find the missing word; and made finger puppet dragons.  I wish I had gotten a picture with all of the kids and their 'stuff', but I forgot until two had already left.  I'll try and get some pictures tomorrow and come back and post them on here.

I love doing these makeshift mini-unit studies.  It helps everyone (mom included) take a breath of fresh air.  And they are easy to do.  All I did was google what I wanted (for instance Chinese New Year free worksheets) and then scan through the results.  I find a few and make sure that both my girls have pages they can do and voila! instant mini-unit study.

So if you are in need of a breath of fresh air in your homeschooling days (especially now with all the winter weather, the rain, the feelings of being cooped or penned in) then create a mini-unit.  Valentines is coming up on the 14th.  But some others for this month include Abraham Lincoln's birthday (12th), President's Day (21st), George Washington's birthday (22nd), and Dia de la Bandera -- National Flag's Day for Mexico (24th).  You could choose any of these or choose an interest of one or most of your children and spice up your homeschool and you.

Have fun!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker