Thursday, December 2, 2010

2010 Holiday Bliss - Dec 1





Well it is time for me to get started. For some reason I neglected to post on the first day of this new meme that Brenda over at Garden of Learning has started. It's a follow-up to last month's Gratitude Challenge. If you want to join in check out the rules here and come along for the ride.

So onto my Holiday Bliss. Well, I think I'll start with Hanukkah. For many years, our family has celebrated and remembered Hanukkah (even though we are not Jewish.) We try to remember and participate in many if not all of the Jewish holidays to help remind us and connect us more with the Israelites and Jesus himself.

Over the years we have done many things including giving little gifts to the children on each day, eating similar things as the Israelites, reciting the prayers, reading a little bit about the Hanukkah story each night as well as lighting our own menorah each night.

This year, Hanukkah started yesterday. Unfortunately we haven't even gotten ANY of our Christmas decorations down yet so our menorah, Hanukkah book (which tells us th story and has the prayers in it) and candles aren't even ready. I don't think we'll be able to get to them until Friday since they are in the rafters in the garage and I can't seem to get out there by myself with all three children.

Even though we do not have all of our Hanukkah stuff isn't ready does not mean we can not talk about the miracle that occurred that led to the creation of Hanukkah. I know that these types of miracles still happen today. One of the reasons we teach our children about Hanukkah is not to get more gifts, but to continually point to the Creator during this holiday season.

Once I get my book down I will come back and edit this post to share it with you. It is an awesome little book and comes with three little dreidels and the rules to the game that is often played during Hanukkah. So if you haven't studied or discovered Hanukkah I'd encourage you to take some time and research the holiday. You never know if you will find a new tradition to add to your holiday season.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker