Wednesday, September 15, 2010

I See Cards - New TOS Review!

You might be thinking that the title of this post is a bit funny.  I See Cards ... well of course we can see cards (that was my feeble attempt at humor.  I promise, I won't do it again.  Please continue reading.)

Anyways, as I was saying I See Cards is a company that produces decks of cards to help with math.  Aren't we always looking for ways to make math fun?  Well, this is one of the best.  I've heard my daughter, Arianna, say over and over how much she LOVES making the pyramids.


The Product:
Oh there I go again getting ahead of myself.  I need to start back at the beginning.  A few weeks ago we received our newest review product - a deck of math cards (56 cards).  And these aren't your every day, regular deck of cards.  They are colorful and packed with information.  It's a great value at only $6.95!

Each card has a large number (0-9, which is written twice so it can be easily recognized from both sides when you 'play' the card) with the name of the number (for instance "nine") in English, Spanish, French, Chinese, and Arabic.  There is also the symbol for the word for the Chinese and Arabic translation.  They even have the Roman Numeral written on the card. 

There are also many different ways to use the cards.  You can play by yourself like solitaire, two-player, war, a speed version, as well as some other ways.  They even have two online versions.  (But I need to warn you I hear they are very addictive! But if you're the top winner you might win your own deck for free!)  You can use and practice all the math operations of addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

Our Experience:
Well most of the time my eldest daughter was the one using these cards.  I used them almost every day as a way to hone her skills in addition and subtraction.  Since Arianna only knows about half of her multiplication tables, we did not attempt to use that.  I did try some days to limit her to just addition or just subtraction.  I have noticed that she has gotten faster and faster at being able to build her pyramid.  That means she is getting quicker at her addition and subtraction tables, don't you think?

Here's a few pictures of the pyramid Ari made one of the many times she played with it.  We played a few games of the 2-player, but we mostly played the solitaire version.


(The first picture is her hard at work thinking, I know it looks like she is not enjoying it, but keep scrolling.)

(Here she is placing her card.)

(And here is her final product.)

My Thoughts:
I think that these cards will come in handy, especially in the future.  I know that Arianna would get a bit discouraged while doing them because she couldn't think of the answers quickly enough.  I am also looking forward to purchasing some of their other card games.  They have one that is for fractions called Fractazmic and I think when we get to learning that we may have to go buy it too.

Be sure and stop by over at the Crew Blog and read what my other crew mates have said about these cards.

*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review.  Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of  my reviews.  My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker