Sunday, April 11, 2010

What do you want to be when you grow up?

As a part of my “interview” process to be part of this upcoming year’s Homeschool Crew I was asked to do 2 reviews of some products. I already did the review for Download N Go - Expedition Australia. This one is from the Wanna Be Series created by The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. There are many titles in this series including: farmer, police, and artist. The one I received to review is on being a Firefighter.

I have mixed feelings about this particular e-book. Since I have 2 girls, becoming a firefighter is not really something that either of them have shown any interest in. However I went about this as I would most of our unit studies as learning something new that is specific and to gain as much information out of it as possible. The book is full of information including the history of firefighting, what the requirements of becoming a firefighter are, what it’s like to be a firefighter, how much they get paid and even about the firefighter dog - a Dalmatian (a personal favorite of mine since I’ve owned 3 in my lifetime.) Also included in the e-book is math that is particular about firefighters, copywork and handwriting practice for both print and cursive, vocabulary, word search, crossword, and many other activities. At the end of the informational part of the e-book they have included many activities and games that you can do as a family as an end of unit wrap-up firefighter theme parties. There is additional information at the very end of other websites and books that could help expand your unit study.
These e-books in the Wanna Be Series are very inexpensive at only $8.95 each, and they come with a wealth of information. They are also able to be used immediately once you download them from the site. For more information you can go to www.theoldschoolhousestore.com and search for Wanna Be Series to peruse the entire series and find out what each one offers. They are aimed at a 4-10 age group, but I believe they can even be used up into the high school age. My 4 year old did not grasp a lot of the information, but like to participate. My 6 year old was able to grasp some of the information, but some of the activities (particularly the math and crossword) were a bit over her 1st grade level. I do think in some time they will both learn an immense amount of information from this study as well as some others. I do think that boys would LOVE this e-book and I would recommend if you have active boys to check this study out. So all in all I think the Wanna Be Series is one you will want to check out for your own children. I think we might be checking out the one on chefs, artists, or missionaries in our very near future.


All in all I think this series is great and that there are many more careers that could be discussed. I look forward to any new areas that they might come up with. Maybe they will do one on being a ballerina - my girls would LOVE that one.

DISCLOSURE: THIS PRODUCT WAS PROVIDED TO OUR FAMILY FOR FREE AS A TRY-OUT FOR MEMBERSHIP IN THE 2010-2011 OLD SCHOOLHOUSE MAGAZINE HOMESCHOOL CREW. REVIEWS AND OPINIONS EXPRESSED IN THIS BLOG ARE OUR OWN.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker