Wednesday, July 10, 2019

New to 4H -- Horses and Ponies

So this past year, as many of you know we have moved from South Carolina to Indiana. Actually in about a month and a piece it will be an official year! WOW how time flies!

Shortly after the kids moving here I had found horseback riding lessons which is something my younger daughter has been wanting to do for YEARS!! Prayerfully and thankfully we found a prior homeschooler turned horse trainer that had a wonderful deal which allowed riding to be worked off for WORKING at the barn. My daughter was ecstatic, and honestly I was not sure it would last. I didn't think she'd like the smell or all the hard work that goes into keeping and caring for a horse. I knew she'd love the lessons. So we started off.

This is Buddy. He's the horse she's been using for the majority of her lessons since about February.


Since she had not had but 2 other lessons she was a true beginner. Her trainer, Miss Micah, is a wonderful and patient trainer who corrects, teaches, supports, and encourages throughout every lesson.


Over the last several months my daughter has become a proficient horseback rider, can tack her own horse, and I think if she had her own horse and stable/pasture she'd be very able to care for the horse all on her own from mucking the stalls to grooming to riding.
putting the saddle on
connecting it


hugging the horse (haha)

We have been with Miss Micah and Off the Fence Farms for about 10 months and in January we began the plunge into 4H. I really have no idea still what it's all about, but I do know that in two weeks my daughter is signed up for 7 classes in western style and games (like barrels and speed and action.)

Fair week will be a real test of stamina and grit, but I know that her trainer will be with her every step of the way and I am eternally grateful that God had us cross paths.
Riding bareback after a lesson. Sweaty horse (who also was wet down first).

Here's her latest video of doing the barrel race at a cantor for just the second time!

Prayers appreciated for the week of the 21st - 27th as she participates (and possibly wins) in the 4H Horse and Pony Club at the Vanderburg County Fair! If you are a 4Her and have suggestions (especially for horses and ponies) please leave a comment!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker