Wednesday, April 10, 2019

C.S. Lewis: Master Storyteller by YWAM Publishing ~~ A New TOS Review!!

We have had the pleasure to read another wonderful story from YWAM Publishing called Christian Heroes - C.S. Lewis and it was a deeply touching biography of his life. This is not the first book we've read from authors Janet & Geoff Benge and I do not think it will be the last. They wove together the life of C.S. Lewis as well as the life of his works and showed how truly he was C.S. Lewis: Master Storyteller. This book is part of the Christian Heroes: Then & Now series, which also include Corrie ten Boom and Amy Carmichael. They also have the Heroes of History series, which include people like Benjamin Franklin and George Washington to Ronald Regan and Ben Carson. Last year we were blessed to review the Heroes of History - Billy Graham and it was truly enlightening. We also have reviewed another of the Heroes of History series with Laura Ingalls Wilder. I can't wait to read more of these books!! I know my children can't wait to choose their next one.

We chose C.S. Lewis: Master Storyteller out of the large selectionwe were given because in our homeschool we have been reading through the books of Narnia. I also have been in a mom book club delving deeper into the man who wrote the Narnia series. It seemed quite fitting that we could also read about the man who wrote Narnia all together as a family. And so we did. WE learned SOOO much that we didn't know. I will tell you the thoughts of my children in a bit, but first I want to tell you more about YWAM Publishing.

YWAM is an acronym for Youth with a Mission. It is a large interdenominational Christian ministry that cover over 140 countries. They have short term missions to reach the lost. YWAM Publishing has a main goal to help Christians to make a difference in our world by publishing books which focus on evangelishm, homeschooling, prayer, discipleship, as well as mercy ministries. You can learn more about them here.

When you purchase one of these books you will also receive a downloadable unit study guide to help strengthen the book you have chosen to read. For this book we decided since we were reading a lot during our traveling over Spring Break as well as on an unexpected family emergency that we'd do some of the projects a little later. Instead we focused on some comprehension questions and then some family discussions that were spurred on from the content found within the 82 page unit study.  We plan to do a few of the projects - like the big quilt project, and then another watching one of the movies and then write a report.

Some of our choices for projects.


 One thing we learned very early on in our book was that C.S. Lewis was known as "Jack". That was the first time I had ever heard that his nickname wasn't even close to his real name. His brother Warren and he grew up in Ireland, Belfast no less! I was shocked. For many like me, may know him as a British writer. We also learned that he had endured a very hard loss in his early life, when his mom died at the age of 9.  After his mom passed, Jack's life was a whirlwind of boarding schools and the like and in 5 years' time had left Christianity to become an athiest.

Lewis was a prolific writer, writing over 30 books, which many know that is probably because of his group the Inklings. But it is also due to his strong relationship with the members of this group, one being J.R.R. Tolkein, that he found his way back to Christ. His life was fascinating. But it was also a great way to be a part of ones journey from a complete lack of faith to someone whose faith fills the written word in every one of his books and then touches millions. It is a fantastic biography that I know we will read again and again.
Reading the last chapters at home.

Answering questions in the car. Yes we sill have to raise hands.

After reading the final chapters, and specifically the last 2 paragraphs of the book, I was touched and brought to tears. This may be because loss and death that has happened not so long ago in my own life. But I know those words that it "had only been the cover and the title page: now at last they were beginning Chapter One of the Great Story ..." helped bring me joy in my time of sorrow. I am so thankful that this was the book I have been reading.
Excerpt that really touched me. 

Also within the biography we learn when other books C.S. Lewis wrote were published and what was going on in his own life. It was a truly unique perspective for a biography that we all greatly enjoyed. I've added some other of Lewis' books to my own reading list.

Here are some thoughts from my children:
Seanan - I now want to read his other book Screwtape Letters. I thought he only had written the ones about Narnia.
Audrie - I liked it because it was all about C.S. Leiws and I really like him. The story is written well and I think little kids would enjoy it just as much as we have. I was sad to learn that his mom died when he was young. That must have been very hard. I didn't know he had fought in wars or had been married. That was cool to find out.
Arianna - I did not realise that he didn't have his own children or that he had gotten married. I like ow the author tells such details about his life and the "real" him. I'm looking forward to hearing his stepso, Douglas Gresham, speak at the homeschool convention we are going to at the end of the month. That'll be cool to see him and maybe meet him in person after reading this book. I've also put Screwtape Letters on my "to read" list. After I finish the Space triology. 

That is not all, but I don't want to spoil all the details. You can also find  YWAM Publishing on Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, and Instagram. I do encourage you to click the link below and read all the other reviews, especially since there were 30 choices to pick from!!
 Study Guides - Christian Heroes Then & Now & Heroes of History {YWAM Publishing Reviews}

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker