Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Some Reasons We Homeschool

Everyone has their own reasoning behind why they homeschool. Some of the reasons we started homeschooling have changed over the years, but the main one is still the same. We want to rear our children in the way of the Lord, helping them grow in HIM, while schooling them in their everyday subjects.

Now I will start out by saying homeschooling can be challenging at times, but it is also beautiful, fun, life-changing, and relational. One of the things I have loved over the years is REALLY knowing my children. I can tell you exactly how they are going to react toward something and I attribute that to the amount of time we spend together. That also is the reason for the friction - iron does sharpen iron jut like the Bible says in Proverbs (Iron can sharpen iron. In the same way, people can help each other.. Pr. 27:17). The more time you spend with someone the more your quirks and idiosyncrasies will irritate one another. But this is also how you can learn to grow as a person and in your faith by asking the Lord to help you not get irritated, to try and learn to give grace and mercy when those irritations begin grating you. It is in these times that we can go to the Lord and seek His direction for how to address the situation and believe He will work with us to find the solution.

Both my husband and I feel that the Lord has called and provided the means for us to homeschool our children. Both of us feel that the Lord blessed us with our children to be reared in the ways of the Lord. If not for homeschooling, that would be a much harder task to accomplish. We also feel that homeschooling allows us to teach our children our faith so that they would know HIM and seek HIM because of the example we provide for them daily. We incorporate Bible teachings, Scripture memory, and prayer into our daily routine. These are the things that are most important.

Another big reason is the WHAT they are learning. The curriculum. The activities. Anything that has to do with what they will be using to learn is in our ability to curtail to both their needs as well as to our faith. I also LOVE curriculum (hence one of the reasons I do curriculum reviews) and I LOVE to help others see how they can find the perfect fit of curriculum for their student and family. Over the years I have reviewed a BUNCH of curriculum, not all do we stick with, but I have certainly been able to use all the info from that to help many other families with the best fit for them.

That is what homeschooling is all about. It's not about having school at home. It's not about letting the curriculum run your schedule. It IS about having the freedom to take a day off from math when it's just not being understood or only doing 5 out of the 50 problems because the child truly gets the concept being taught. It allows you to build a relationship with each of your children that will last a lifetime. It's about letting them have freedom to have some say in what they (your child) wants to accomplish and then helping to build them a platform for them to succeed.

I am not perfect, by any means. My children are not perfect, neither is my husband. But what we are called to be are the parents of these children that the Lord so humbly blessed us with and to help train them and teach them as HE teaches us. Each day I call upon Him to lead me ... and our steps through the day. Some days I fail (miserably at times), but I remember that His mercies are new every morning and His grace is what will get us through.

Why do you homeschool? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker