Monday, August 27, 2012

Grammar Can be Fun - A New TOS Review!!

If any of you know me you know that I am an English person.  I have a minor in it from college and I have spent most of my college and adult years either editing or proofing others.  So it's not a wonder that I would ask to be involved in a review of a computer program that is supposed to teach grammar.
The Product:
Time4Writing is an online computer based program for elementary, middle, and high school level students. There are a variety of  8 week courses that you can choose from for each level of school.  You can see the choices and take a quick tour to see just how the program works.

Each 8 week course will assign your student to their own certified teacher while the student works through the lessons and assignments at their own pace. Each course costs $99 and has a 14 day money back guarantee.  You can see the choice of courses below.


at At any time you can see what your student has completed, as well as view grades and see where or what they missed.  I think you can also print out a certificate at the end of the course - we'll update that when we finish the course in a few weeks. ;)

Our Experience:
Because Arianna is still in Elementary school we chose the Grammar course called Grammar School Rocks. This course can be used as early as second grade and I felt it would be a good fit.  We have been doing Grammar, but I was hoping to use this course as a 'test' of sorts and see where any deficiencies lay and her retention of the rules we have covered already.

The course has 8 units:
  • Nouns
  • Pronouns and Adjectives
  • Verbs
  • Capitalization
  • Sentence Structure
  • Sentence Subject
  • Sentence Predicate
  • Proofreading
We are in week 6 right now and should be completing the last 3 sections within the next 2 weeks.  Each unit is broken down into sub-sections which are broken down into 3-6 areas within the unit.  For instance with the nouns they talked about the difference between common nouns and proper nouns as well as the differences between common nouns versus abstract nouns.  There would be a lesson about the subject and then the student has a practice game.

After the lessons there is a quiz which is a quick review of what they learned for that unit.  At the end there is a "BIG" quiz which is then graded by the teacher.  The student can not move on until the teacher has graded the section.  That can be really helpful so that your student doesn't use incorrect information as they progress through the course.

Here is what Arianna says about  Time4Writing:

My favorite part is at the end when you have the big quiz.  You have to copy the questions and paste them into the writing block so that you can answer the questions or fix some sentences.
Before you get to that first you learn about the subject.  Let's say it is capitalization.  You will be able to read about it, listen to it, or even watch a video that tells you all about capitals.  Then you play a game that quizzes you on that part of the lesson. Next you do another quiz, but this one is different then the first quiz.  Then you get a test from the teacher (which is my favorite part.)
So far I have learned about nouns, pronouns, verbs, adjectives, worked on capitalization and I think that is all.  My teacher is Ms. Nicole.  She is very encouraging.  One time I had a question and she emailed me the answer.  She says I am doing very well.  
I like this program a lot because it is on the computer.  I think it makes me quicker at doing my work.  ;)  I have 3 lessons left and I will have completed the course.  That's exciting!
You can also sign up for a FREE newsletter and there are tons of FREE resources on their site.

My Thoughts:
As you can see she's a fan of this program.  I do not think that we will be able to sign up for another course mainly due to the price - we just don't have it in our budget at this time.  However, I think that the program could be a great fit for some families or students.

It does also use many styles of learning so it could help with some struggling learners in a particular area to get through where they are "stuck."

 Make sure you read what other Crew members thought about the course they chose for their student just by clicking the banner below.

Photobucket

*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2011-2012 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products (and a one year premium membership to this program), I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker