Wednesday, December 7, 2011

How do You do ART? - A New TOS Review!!

Do you have trouble adding art in?  Well, we do.  It's not really that it's hard, but I just either forget about it or don't know what to "teach".  I'd like my children to be better at drawing and painting then me AND I want them to know about the styles of art as well as the history and the artists themselves.  Trying to find a program  that fits all that criteria probably seems impossible.

Well, the latest review we were apart of might be your answer because it definitely has been ours!  What's it called?  ARTistic Pursuits!!

The Product:
There are 10 books that you can choose from to start your art journey using  ARTistic Pursuits.  Each book ($42.95) was created for homeschoolers or independent learning so they are a beautiful fit for any style of homeschooling.  Each of the lessons are taught in such a way that allows your child to make their own decisions and choices being creative and original, while remaining true to the style of art being discussed.
As your child progresses through the available books starting in preschool and ending in high school your child  first explores the many mediums and materials of art (preschool), then they begin to combine a little art history with hands-on learning projects (elementary), and then on to learning about different artists, distinct techniques of drawing and painting, as well as continuing to learn the history behind the art (high school.)  I have loved EVERY project and lesson we have done.
Here is a list of the different books:


They also have art supply packs that they have packaged together to correspond with the books so it makes it that much easier to start your art journey.

Our Experience:
We were given a chance to choose which product we'd review so we choose K-3, Book Two. The girls were SUPER excited to get started in it and have enjoyed the lessons as well as the hands-on.  If I'm being honest, I'd say they "put up with the lesson" so that they could get going on their activity. ;)

As you open the book you come across the Table of Contents which tells you the name of the artist and the piece that they will be learning about.  For instance, the first lesson is on Cimabue (CHEEmah BOO eh) who was an artist from the Gothic time period.  The girls were told to go and observe their neighborhood and ten paint what they saw.  Below is their interpretations of our duplex. I think they are pretty good.

Audrie's
Arianna's

After the Table of Contents, they place a material list that you can see at a glance which lays out what you will need and how many of a certain item are needed.  That way if you have art materials already you can know what you will need to go and purchase.  They also have this list broken into groups (painting, modeling, drawing, etc.) so that you know what you need for each lesson.
In the next set of pictures you can see that the first part is the history part of the lesson which describes the artist briefly and how they approached art.  I've really enjoyed the history portions of the lessons because it has helped me learn things I hadn't before or remember ideas from years past.






Arianna has really started to blossom in her own artistic pursuits.  Here is another painting she did which was emulating the use of gold leaf (we didn't purchase that but instead used yellow construction paper) incorporated into a painting.
Jesus' birthday with 'gold leaf'
My Thoughts:
Both of the girls love any and all aspects of art.  I LOVE the easy instructions for me to "teach" them.  I even plan to join in on some of the lessons when I can.  That is one of the best things about homeschooling - you can learn too!  So if art is a subject that you struggle with because you just don't know how to teach it, let the people at ARTistic Pursuits help you and your homeschool.  Let them do the teaching and you just read the lessons and join in the fun!

Make sure you head over to the TOS Homeschool Crew and see what my crew members thought about their choice of book. If you have any questions about the program, I'm sure Dan or Brenda Ellis would love to hear from you and help you.  Just contact them via email or phone (303-467-0504).



*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2011-2012 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker