Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Yummy Chocolate and We Studied it Too - New DNG Review!



The last two weeks in our house we have been consumed with learning about CHOCOLATE and let me tell you that is one fun topic!  Amanda Bennet has done it again by incorporating school in such a fun topic.  This Chocolate Challenge unit study has been created for children in K-4 (although my husband and I totally enjoyed this unit and we learned some new information too) and teaches you the history of chocolate, the science of chocolate and you even do math ... with CHOCOLATE!  What fun!!

The unit is broken down in to five FULL days of learning.  Here is what you will be learning on each day:
  • Day 1: Chocolate - What is it?
  • Day 2: Chocolate - The Story
  • Day 3: Chocolate - The Types of Chocolate
  • Day 4: Chocolate - The Science of Chocolate
  • Day 5: Chocolate - Have a Chocolate Party!
Now just because it says five days does not mean you have to take just five days.  We actually spaced this out over a two week period (mainly because I was under the weather a little bit, but also because there is definitely enough information to spread the learning out.  That is one of my favorite things about these units.  I know that just because I'm doing it now doesn't mean that I can't do the unit again next year or in several years.  These units WILL be used again in the future.  And for $7.95 THAT makes it a great value!!

I think some of the favorite things my students enjoyed about this study was learning about the different chocolatier each day; learning how to say chocolate in different languages; the method to get chocolate from the bean (which means it's healthy, right?) and of course the most fun part of each day ... eating some chocolate. We also were able to hook up Stephen's computer to the big tv and do our lessons in the living room.  As you can see the girls seemed very comfortable learning on the couch. ;)


We have not had our chocolate party, but tonight Stephen and I went and bought chocolate from each of our chocolatier's and we will be comparing them sometime this week while we have a "chocolate party" with our family.  After purchasing all that chocolate, Seanan couldn't wait until the party later this week -- he had to eat some in the car on the ride home.   I know that when we do this unit the second time, we will have a full-fledged chocolate party with invitations, question polls, and homemade chocolate creations.



I hope that I have tempted you to go and take a whif of the Chocolate Challenge  unit studies. While you are there make sure you check out the other many units available. Also make sure you check out there's Convention Closeout Sales - they are at UNBELIEVABLE prices!   And be sure to check out what some of the others have said about this unit below.




*** I am a member of the DNG Review Team and receive free products in exchange for a thorough and honest review.  Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of  my reviews.  My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker