Monday, March 21, 2011

Kites, Kites, Flying Overhead - DNG Review!


Well, it's a windy, sunny day and your children have been stuck inside for weeks due to the enormous amount of snow, rain, sleet, or just plain cold weather.  What's a mom to do?  Let her children go romp and play and enjoy the sunshine.  How about adding in a little school too?  We are all about multi-tasking, right?  Well, I have a unit study that does just that ... combines the need to be outside as well as learning.  I know what you are thinking.  No Way!  This is not possible.  but it is!! I promise.



What you need is to check out the Kite Capers unit study from Download-N-Go.  Your children (and you) will learn all about what a kite really is, different types of kites, and how they can fly.  And that's just in the first day.  Here's the topics for each of the five days.



Day 1: What Is a Kite?
Day 2: The History of Kites
Day 3: Kite People and Places
Day 4: Science Secrets of Kites
Day 5: Goodies and Gadgets of Kites

Doesn't that make you want to go read all about them and then go find a kite to fly?  (Or make one - they give you directions for that too!  In the unit study!!)  I know that a as a homeschooling mom, I am constantly learning new tidbits of information.  Sometimes, those tidbits are really HUGE chasms of information.  And I love it.  I love learning.  I love teaching my children and watching them light up when they have learned a new skill or a new piece of information or just put two separate pieces of information together for the very first time.  It's exhilarating.

The other wonderful amazing thing about the Download-N-Go unit studies is that you cover most of your school subjects all in one at one time and you can do these with all of your children.  In Kite Capers in particular, you will touch on science, history, geography, art, Bible, reading and writing.  Most times you just need to add in your own math and voila! fun and exciting and interesting school all in one little package.
At the end of each of DNG you can print out a Certificate of Exploration. You also have the opportunity to build your very own lapbook that coordinates with the unit.  You can choose to do the lapbook pieces daily or save them all for the day after the unit, or even the next week (to elongate the learning process and cement ideas that you have learned.)  The instructions of how to do a lapbook are included in the beginning of the unit and all the 'pieces' are linked in each day and compiled at the end of the unit.
The Download-N-Go's are created for K-4, but there are ways to make them a bit more difficult for our older students.  And my toddler has fun watching the embedded videos and the activities, just as much as everyone else.  And like I said earlier, I LOVE learning right along with my children. And since the price is only $7.95 they are VERY affordable.

We didn't get to do many of the activities in our short school week last week (due to attending the Southeastern Homeschool Convention in Greenville) so we are going to be doing those this week.  I will come back and link to an additional blog post with our pictures of the activities.  The girls also reminded me that for Christmas they had received their very own kites.  So we're hoping for a semi-windy day on Friday.  Why Friday?  Dad will be home, and I don't think I'm a very good kite flyer. ;)

I hope I have encouraged you to go and take a peek at Kite Capers and the other many unit studies available.  And be sure to check out what some of the others have said about this unit below.



Powered by Linky Tools
Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list...



*** I am a member of the DNG Review Team and receive free products in exchange for a thorough and honest review.  Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of  my reviews.  My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker