Friday, December 10, 2010

Write His Commands on Their Hearts - New TOS Review!

A few weeks ago a package arrived at our home. When I opened the package I was greeted by a beautifully illustrated hardback book, called Good Morning, God. This is a children's book published by Apologia Press.

Now most people know that Apologia for their science books and other curriculum materials. But they also have books and other educational materials.


The Product:
Good Morning, God combines a storybook with an instructional "how-to" page, as well as 8 pages with Questions and Activities that correspond with the book; helping to make a mini-Bible study for little ones. This book is geared for ages 1-8 and costs only $14.00. They also have a $4.00 coloring book that goes along with the book.

The book is based on Deuteronomy 6:6-7.
These commands that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up.

It is about a 4 year old little boy who shows his own worship to God on each and every day. The author, Davis Carman, created this as a type of discipleship tool. The questions and activities provided at the end of the book go along with the daily theme of the book. The book begins and ends with Sunday and therefore can be used not only as a plain storybook, but also and 8 day curriculum. You could choose to only do a few of the activities and questions at the end of the storybook and continue to use this book as a curriculum for the entire month. This would help to concretely impress the Biblical principles stated within Deuteronomy 6:6-7 on the hearts of your children.

Our Experience:
I read this book aloud to my children at first and they seemed to enjoy it.  I also had Arianna read the book to Audrie.  While they were immersed in reading I took a few pictures as well as shot a short video I would like to share with you.





Arianna told me that her favorite part of the book was that the little boy told God good morning and that he said good night to not only God, but to the day itself.  She thought that was quite funny.

My Thoughts:
I believe it's repetition will help cement the principles being taught in this book on the hearts of the children reading or hearing the story.  This type of prose also helps young children be able to memorize more easily.  I plan on hearing my children repeating the story in the coming weeks.

The questions at the end are very thought-provoking.  Here are some:
What is sin? Have you ever sinned? 
Why did Jesus have to die to save you?
Why are you thankful for your family?
These questions could be answered by children over the age of 8 so I think this book can be used by children even older.  Some of the other activities are reading scriptures that correlate with the day's theme as well as drawing pictures or giving your family things to do like plan a family night and play games together.

I highly recommend this book.  I think it is a great value for the price and that it will be used for years to come.  And with each days questions and activities having eight choices you could easily do this as a mini-Bible study for one entire month, reading the book daily and doing only two activities each day.  If you add in trying to memorize the scripture the book is based upon at the end of one month you will have truly written God's Word upon their hearts.  You can see what other Crew members thought of this book too.

*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker