Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Impromptu Field Trip

A few weeks ago we took an impromptu trip ... one of the fun things you can do when you homeschool. So we surprised the kids the day before and told them we'd be headed to Charlotte, NC. It's a rather short drive (only about 3 hours) the only problem was that dad was going there for a work meeting and he had to be there by 8:30am! If anyone knows us, you know that's EARLY! But the kids were excited to see what all we planned.

The morning arrived abruptly ... and my son was feeling terrible and woke up without me getting him -- not a good sign. But I messaged all my prayer warriors that I could and he took a detox bath and we covered him in prayer and oils and carried on. A work colleague was coming with us so he then arrived while I was running around trying to get some extra needs (a bucket in case, extra change of clothes, etc.). I felt like I was buzzing like a bee and not being very calm, but we finally got all loaded -- even with my under the weather son, but he wanted to go so bad and have fun with us. I commended his perseverance. He was a strong boy. And he also was battling a slight fever and he generally gets carsick.  We were on the road by a tad after or intended take off time so I was feeling optimistic.
This looks like an impressionistic painting don't you think?

On the trip I tried to encourage the kids to take naps and continue to sleep. I figured if they slept it would go quicker ... isn't that the case? They did for a while, but then they were up and we were still only half way there. We ended up making a few stops, but the alternative could have been disastrous. My son just needed the fresh air and to walk around a bit.  I stole a few pictures of them sleeping and the sun rising which I think look pretty cool since we were driving and they look like we are in motion. Then we finally arrived. Once we dropped my husband and his colleague off I started to look for my pre-thought out plan of fun and FREE things to do. Unfortunately, in the bustling of the morning, I had left it at home. 😢 But thanks to technology I just looked up the destinations again.

First stop was this place called ImaginOn. It's an interactive library experience with 3 floors! They also had been spotlighting The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe and had special art pictures throughout the library for you to scavenge for - 16 in all. I think we found them all, but the girls split off from Seanan and I and they said they only found 15. These spotlights change. The next one was going to be Madagascar a Musical Adventure. We didn't get to see the theatrical performances but they seem to be really good. We spent a good while at the library exploring and taking it all in.

Next we headed across the street to First Ward Park and hung out there while we ate some snacks. There was a typewriter outside the library, exercise equipment in the park and a big green space, plus what looked like a sprinkler when it was warmer. Seemed to be a pretty fun little greenspace. About this time it was time for us to find a place to eat lunch. I had prepared to go somewhere where kids under 12 eat free ... but couldn't find the places since I had left my list at home. So we found a McDonald's where I knew they'd all be able to eat something and we could stay GF for the my son (whom we've been experimenting with going GF) -- he loves the grilled chicken there.

After lunch I had seen that the place was right across from another park - Veteran's Memorial Park. So we jumped across the highway to play there for a little while. They played while I tried to figure out our next destination. I had told the kids to bring their skates in case we had time and it was close to where dad's meeting would be so that we might be able to go practice at Extreme Ice Center. But by the time we would get there we'd basically have to turn around and come pick dad back up, so we decided not to go this time. They were a bit disappointed, but I made it up by heading to our third park of the day!

This park was one of the most unique parks we have ever explored. And it was in the midst of Freedom Park and it is a Cre8play NFL Play 60 park that had an interactive 40 yard dash! There were a TON of kids once we got to the park area, but they had so much fun, including trying to race each other on the 40 yard dash. The kids were hoping we could pick up Stephen and bring him back so they could race him, but we'd end up not being able to have time to do that. Next time we head there we will stop there again! They got so side-tracked at the NFL park area we didn't get to explore the hiking trail or go to the lake.

Without much warning we got the text that the men were ready to be picked up and that their meeting was over. So we had to pack up and head back, but I had one more place I thought they would all enjoy. It took about 20 minutes to get back because we were headed into early rush hour and school buses were everywhere starting to return the school children to their homes. But I managed to get back safely and without getting lost! That's an improvement!

Once the men were back with us hubby knew our last destination, and his colleague was happy to come with us to enjoy a little excursion. We headed to the Billy Graham Library where we took our time enjoying the outdoor garden areas including the places where both Mr. Graham and his wife had been laid to rest.

Once we entered we were able to join up with the last group tour which was fascinating. Our children had been very enthralled in the news from hearing Mr. Graham speaking or snippets of his teaching that had been aired on the Christian radio station from the time that his passing was publicized. Every time he came on to speak they stopped talking and listened. I knew that going to the Library would be a very near and dear experience for them all. And as one of our reviews coming up is on one of YWAM Publishing's Heroes of History: Billy Graham, I could not pass up this opportunity.

We spent about 2 hours walking through the library and listening to little snippets of his life. The library changes the theme of the tours every 2 months. When we went they were highlighting the time of Mr. Graham's life called "To the Ends of the Earth, covering the 1960s & 1970s. It was very enlightening. The library will be honoring his life with special displays for the entire year. If you have the chance to make it there, I'd highly recommend it.
After this last stop, we had had a full day and needed to get back on the road home. Thankfully, my son made a full and miraculous healing and made it the entire way home with no issues. His fever had disappeared earlier in the morning and never came back. Hallelujah!! The kids have talked about going back to Charlotte another time in the near future. I would have liked to go over to the Panthers stadium and some other places I had researched so maybe we can do that in the near future before it gets too hot.  Do you take impromptu trips? Do you head out with hubby on work trips? What are some of your favorite destinations?? I'd love to hear from you!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker