Monday, February 14, 2011

Following His Command Together

This week's Blog Cruise question is:
How are your spouse, grandparents, or other family members involved in your homeschooling?

Well, first I am going to talk about my husband.  Stephen has been involved in every aspect of our homeschooling since even before Day 1.  We started talking about homeschooling before we even had children, knowing that neither of us were very impressed with today's schools.  We also knew at the time (and still today) that placing our children into a private school, whether it be secular or Christian, would not be the answer.

When we found out we were pregnant with our first child, we did all the normal first time parent type stuff.  We then also started to research homeschooling.  It was in that first year that we came up with a plan or schedule that we felt was the best education we could give to our children.  I knew that from the time that baby was born, I would become a stay at home mom and Stephen knew he would be working to provide the funds for that to be possible.

We researched together many types of homeschooling and both, in our own way, came to the conclusion that classical education was the right fit for us as parents and for our family.  We read the booth The Well-Trained Mind together and discussed what each area would look like for us and how we would implement their many suggestions and schedules.  Most people would be scared when they saw the amount of research we did.  I even preliminarily 'mapped out' the entire 12 year curriculum. [I know scary - ;) ] We also knew what each of our roles would look like from the beginning of schooling until the completion of graduating at least high school.

Together we decided that the early years would primarily be my "baby" so to speak.  Stephen would help with fun experiments, going on field trips and the occasional definition (since he is more like a talking and waking dictionary) while I made the lesson plans; planned the crafts, the library trips; taught them how to read and write and count, etc.  As the children got older the shift to higher level science and mathematics would be inevitable.  This will be Stephen's domain.  He is a math person.  It's bred into him (most everyone in his family teaches, and all of them are either math or science teachers.)  I will stick with English, history and the fine arts (music, arts a and crafts, and languages.)

The two of us know where each of our educational strengths lie.  When we rely on each other and teach our children from our strong points we know that we are giving our children the best education we possibly could.

So in a nutshell, I could not homeschool my children on my own.  My husband not only supports my decision, but it was his decision too.  When I am in need of a break, my husband will and does step in and take over as often as he is able.  I am thankful for such a wonderful husband and father that he would spend time teaching and instructing our children just as the Lord commands.
Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it.  Proverbs 22:6
Now I'm going to take a few minutes and talk about grandparents and others family members.  Most of the grandparents are mostly supportive about our choice to homeschool.  They aren't overtly involved in the day to day of our homeschooling, but they are not bugging, pestering or nagging us for our choices.  I know that some have unfriendly family members and friends who can make homeschooling your children like a war.

I want to remind you to stand your ground.  These are your children.  You are the one(s) who will be held accountable when you face the Lord and He asks you how did you raise His children.   Remember, your children are on loan to you from the Lord.  You are to raise them in the admonition of the Lord and to train and instruct them.
Fathers, do not provoke your children to anger by the way you treat them. Rather, bring them up with the discipline and instruction that comes from the Lord.  Ephesians 6:4

How can you do that if they are not with you?  When you feel you are in the battle against your family when it comes to your choice to homeschool your children, take time to think about why the Lord called you to do this.  He is the one in control.  He is the ultimate reason we do all we do, including homeschooling.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this post. I knew since my son was young that I would homeschool. My husband is very supportive and helpful in our school. My children also enjoy learning from my younger sisters when we are with them.
I am from the TOS Crew and am now following you. I'm looking forward to reading more of your posts. Please follow me and thank you if you already are! Have a wonderful week.
www.indoorgardenmusings.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker