Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Amusement

amuse(verb)

Definitions; some are modern uses(1-3), some older(4-6)
  1. to hold the attention of (someone) pleasantly.
  2. to entertain or divert in an enjoyable or cheerful manner.
  3. to cause time to pass agreeably.
  4. to keep in expectation by flattery, pretenses, etc.
  5. to engross; absorb.
  6. to puzzle; distract.

The basis for the modern usage is clear to me from the older uses and the clear reference to the Muses.  The Muses inspired mankind, and the prefix ‘a’ means to lack.  This causes me to ponder . . .

If I lack inspiration, and seek out amusement; What do I want to be distracted from? Why do I need life to be agreeable and pleasant?  Why would I want to be flattered or lied to?

As a Christian, I do not believe I should constantly strive to distract myself from the distress of the world around me, nor the tasks Christ has called me to just to seek my own pleasure.  This seems, to me, to be the goal of our modern western culture.

Your comments and response, please.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker