Monday, October 24, 2011

A WholeHearted Approach - A New TOS Review!!

Photobucket

Homeschooling is sometimes a hard decision for many to come to terms with.  We that do homeschool are really in the minority and sometimes we have to defend our decision or call.  Having to always be on the defensive can wear on the parent as well as on the child.  So it is refreshing to find encouragement and training all in one location.

The Product:
Clay Clarkson (with his wife Sally) have managed to do just that in the book Educating the WholeHearted Child, first published in 1994.  After many years this book, now in it's third revision, contains over one hundred new pages full of new information from over the fifteen years since it's initial publication.

PhotobucketAnd it is a HUGE, 8.5 x 11 x 1 thick softcover with 376 pages of information and encouragement, not only for homeschoolers, but for ALL parents.  It is reminiscent of a textbook (although one you will want to read many times through, I know I want to.)  One that you will want to study and take your time ingesting the information, praying, and applying it to your life and homeschool.

The book has been divided into four main sections: Home, Learning, Methods, and Living as well as having a Preface, an Introduction, a Postscript and Resources ... lots and lots of resources. ;)  The sections are filled with very detailed and straightforward information, along with additional helpful hints and advise.

They also have placed quotes, Scriptures, definitions and more in the margins to help explain or enhance a particular topic area.  And that's not all.  The Clarkson's have also included a personal touch by adding their In Our Home sections which show the principles they have discussed at work from their own experiences.  You can take a look at the Table of Contents and read a little more about the book as a whole.

Our Experience:
I've had this book for a little over a month and am shocked at how much I have been able to learn in such a short time.  Here's just one of the many quotes that have spoken to me.
"Your child's behavior is like a PowerPoint presentation of whatever is directing their heart.  Jesus said that a person speaks from the overflow of whatever is in their heart, whether it is good or evil (Luke 6:45).  Your role as a parent is to fill your child's heart with as much good as you can, and then train them to choose the PowerPoint slides of behavior that pleases God."
As you can see from this small passage that these ideas are life-changing, home-altering words.

My husband and I do plan on studying this book together and I can't wait.  I'm sure there is much more for me to learn.  I do know from my surface reading that I have been challenged, encouraged, and even convicted on how to better mold our home into one that reflects a more wholehearted approach.  Their approach puts emphasis on nurture, discipleship, instruction and learning through Biblical principles.

Don't just take my word for it. You can read a sample of the book for yourself and decided from there if  you think this is a wise investment in your children, home, and school.  And this isn't just any sample - it's the FULL first chapter.  You can see just how much the Clarkson's have poured into this book.

My Thoughts:
This is a definite must read for anyone contemplating homeschooling, a homeschooler (beginner or seasoned), as well as the Christian parent who wants to learn or train to be more Christ-centered.  This book is a timeless treasure for the ages and worth WAY more then money, but it's available for just $22 through Apologia Educating Materials.

Apologia also sells a plethora of other homeschooling materials including science, history, and even retreats for homeschool moms.  You can learn more about these other aspects of their company by visiting the links or calling them at 888-524-4724.

So if you are in the market for an encouraging, informative, transformational book, then look no further.  Head on over to Apologia and purchase your copy of Educating the WholeHearted Child: Discipleship, Whole Books, and Real Life! WholeHearted Christian Home Education for Ages 4-14.  And if you haven't made up your mind yet and want to read more about the book, be sure and read what other of my Crew members are saying.  I'd love to hear what you thought about this book (after you've read the chapter) so be sure to leave me a comment.




*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2011-2012 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker