Thursday, July 14, 2011

Looking Back at the Year Past Through the Eyes of the Students

I've been meaning to post this for a while but lost where I had put all my notes and found them again the other day when I was cleaning a part of my desk (which really needs WAY more cleaning.)

So I had asked the girls a series of questions about how our homeschool has been going, rather how it went this past year.  These are their answers.

Arianna
What is your favorite thing about homeschooling?
Being able to be home with mom and dad and to see them more and to see my sister and brother a lot too.
What is your least favorite thing about homeschooling?
Nothing, I like it all (I'm not sure how true that is, but we will go with it.)
What subject do you like most?
I like anything that has to do with reading.  I like to read.
What subject do you like the least?
I kinda like them all.  
How do you think you learn?
I think I learn by reading.
What would you like to learn more about in science?
dinosaurs
What would you like to learn more about in history?
Indians
Is there something that you would like to do differently next year?
I would like a set schedule that I can check off when I have completed that assignment or task.  I think that would help me stay focused better.
What do you think we have been doing well?
I think our best time is our together subjects
Can you give me 3 things that you want to learn how to do this next year?
I can only think of 2 right now ... sewing, and to make and bake a cake.  Oh, I also want to know how electricity works.


Audrie

What is your favorite thing about homeschooling?
Being with you.
What is your least favorite thing about homeschooling?
I don't know.
What subject do you like most?
I like my new math books the best.  They are so cool!  I also like art.
What subject do you like the least?
My handwriting. Why?  Because it is almost all done.  (I let her know we have the next book.) And art because I don't like getting messy.  So I like it and I don't all at the same time.
How do you think you learn?
I think by listening to someone read.
What would you like to learn more about in science?
The oceans.
What would you like to learn more about in history?
Indians (amazing that they both answered this one the same)
Is there something that you would like to do differently next year?
Have more play time.
What do you think we have been doing well?
When we are reading and going to the library together.
Can you give me 3 things that you want to learn how to do this next year?
How to make a quilt, how to cook good food, and how DVD movies are made.

I know that some of these things we can adjust or fix to help them to be more "happy" about their learning experiences at home, but I think overall they really do enjoy being homeschooled.  I know I certainly enjoy being at home and teaching them.  

I'm working on figuring some time into my schedule where I could figure out a plan of action for next year and make some of those check-off charts, possibly institute workboxes, and organize.  But for now, I'm glad that my children do like to learn and have had an enjoyable year.

1 comment:

Blossom Barden (NorthLaurel) said...

What a great idea! We have already started our year but I wonder if my kids would be willing to do this for what they've liked/disliked about previous years and/or what they want/expect from this year.
I like everything about homeschooling too! (heehee... that's not completely honest but it sounds good!)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker