Monday, March 21, 2011

Aesop's Fables as Readers - A New TOS Review!

As a homeschooling mom of younger children I am always looking for good books that can be used for those early readers.  Well at Brillkids, they have taken the famous Aesop's Fables and made them into very simple early readers.  They call them Aesop's Fables Readers.  Easy to remember, right?

And you are going to want to remember them.  See?

The set we were given to review is Volume 1 which includes:

  • The Lion and the Mouse
  • The Fox and the Grapes
  • The Fox and the Crow
  • The Boy Who Cried Wolf
  • and The Turtle and the Rabbit
 
This set sells for $50.00, but for now they are on sale for just $37.50. That is a savings of 25% (and anyone who knows me knows I love to save.)  So just $7.50 per book ... a great price for good, sturdy readers.


Brillkids is also planing to launch a Volume 2 of their Aesop's Fables Readers. Volume 2 is scheduled to include: The Goose and the Golden Eggs, The Dog and The Bone, The Crow and the Jug, The Wind and the Sun & The Ant and The Grasshopper. Watch the Brillkids website for it's arrival.

These classic stories have been shortened to allow your young reader the ability to understand the moral given while keeping the words on a very easy level.  Each page has just one sentence,making reading a joy and not so much a chore.  Arianna was able to read these all very well and that was to be expected for her age (7).  So I used these books mainly with Audrie and Seanan.

Seanan really enjoyed the pictures that went with the story.  But the cool thing about these readers is that they have a flap which covers the picture.  You know why, right?  You always have the child who looks at the picture in order to "tell" you what the words say and then they don't actually concentrate on the words or argue with you that what you say the story says is not what they see (because they are not looking at the words they are looking at the pictures.)  So what Brillkids has done is created this flap that covers the picture.  Then each page can be read and once read, the picture can be revealed.  Smart, huh?  I thought so.








I think I have mentioned before that I also watch two other young children.  one is a five year old, like Audrie, but he is at the beginning of his reading journey.  So one day I had him read the books to Audrie.  They looked so cute together reading on the couch. And now when I want to show you what it looked like, you are just going to have to trust me.  I can't seem to find the picture.  They booth really enjoyed the pictures and the stories.

I also wanted to mention that the books have a glossy front and back cover as well as the flap.  They are also made with a thicker page.  They stood up to Seanan playing with them (although I did not give them to him with free reign as of yet.)  And I think the glossiness will help prevent markers and other smudges from 'sticking' too much on these books. (I did try this out on one of my books with a Sharpie.  It did not wipe off of the pages, but did wipe up from the front and back cover as well as the flap, which are all glossy.)

Earlier this year the TOS Crew reviewed the Little Reader program of Brill Kids.  You can read about those reviews here.  These Aesop's storybooks can be used in conjunction with the Little Reader program.


I hope you all take some time and check out what other Crew members thought about BrillKids - Aesop's Fables Readers.

*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker