Wednesday, January 5, 2011

How Are Your Math Facts? A New TOS Review!

Have you ever wanted to make sure your children are really getting their math facts down?

The Product:
Well, now you can with Math Facts Now! Version 2.0 has now been released and is compatible with Windows 2000, ME, XP, Vista and Windows 7. I did try to download this at first on our LINUX OS (Ubuntu), but it did not respond. So, I then placed it on our 'borrowed' Windows based laptop and it worked like a dream. Math Facts Now is a very simple program that allows you, the teacher, to create custom lessons for each of you students. The program works with all four operations (+, -, x, /) and you can use it to strengthen your child's math skills or aim the lessons at their deficiencies.

To make a lesson is very easy. All you have to do is create a name, pick an area to work on (say your 3x's tables), choose how many correct problems you want your child to have, how many second per problem, how many times an incorrect problem will be written out correctly. The company was great to work with. There were some issues on the Crew with the original

minimum problems you could choose. But after some feedback, the company changed the minimum to 5 problems. (The minimum originally was 50 problems. There is NO WAY I could have gotten Arianna to do 50 problems most days!) Once a lesson is created you have the ability to edit the lesson at any time in the future.

As the teacher you are also able to access the progress report which tells you the time it took for the "lesson", the number of actual problems completed and the percentage of right and wrong. This helps you be able to assess your students progress as well as deficiencies and plan new lessons accordingly.

Our Experience:
One of the things I like is that you can set up the lessons in advance. Then when it is time to work on math (and mom needs to run get some laundry washed, or dishes put away) you can have your child sit and work on their school semi-independently and both you and your student get a sense of accomplishment. I know that sometimes I have to sit and "hold my daughters hand" and get her to keep on going with her math. For some reason computer math ends up being done quicker and better. I wonder why? You can even set up rewards that can be earned for completing a lesson with no wrong answers!

One thing I did not like was that you can't adjust the lesson to "fit" your child exactly. For instance, I have only worked on the times tables of 1, 2, 3, 5, and 10. However I've only made it up to x 10. So we have not worked on __ x 11 or __ x 12. With this program you can create a lesson on just the 3 times table, but it will go through twelve, even if you haven't studied that. Arianna didn't seem to mind this much, but I do see this could be a HUGE problem for some children, especially when it would say you were wrong and in actuality you just hadn't been taught the material.

My Thoughts:
All in all, I think this is a great program, especially if you have a struggling math student. Most students who have problems with math is because they did not or have not completely internalized the basics of math: addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division. My husband, who tutors math to students of all ages, says all the time that he can help anyone get through any math be it algebra, calculus or statistics, as long as they can do their basic math operations.

You can download a free trial of the program and test it out. If you decide that this is the program you have been searching for you can either order the CD version or download he full program for $15.95. (There is a shipping charge of $3.95 for the CD.) You can read what others thought about the program too.

*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker