Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Have Your Children Dig In to Bible Time - A New TOS Review!

Are you looking for something to help your children's Bible time come alive?  What abut a book that could help them answer some of their burning questions?  Then I have the resource for you.  It is the Holman Illustrate Bible Dictionary for Kids.  You can find this available at your local Lifeway Christian Store.

The Product:
This 224 page book is beautifully crafted with a great hardback cover,  as well as exquisite, bright pictures throughout the book.  Each color-coded, alphabetized section has a page that clearly marks which letter you are beginning. (I've included a picture so you can better understand what I mean.)
 
 Included in the book are:
  • entries of King James Version words
  • pronounciation guide
  • beautiful photos
  • illustrated charts (things like birds or foods in the Bible)
  • reconstructions of what it may have looked like in Biblical times
  • definitions of both people of the Bible and Biblical concepts
  • illustrations of Bible stories
With many of the entries they include Scripture references that correspond with the entry.  That's a great value for a low cost of $14.99 (plus shipping).  The book says it would be good for ages 5-10, but I'm sure even older kids would enjoy looking through it and "researching", I know I did. :)

Our Experience:

I know I have found both my girls looking through this book during their 'down time' in school.  And my eldest went to reading it just to find out some information.  Since my children are just 5 and 7 they are just getting the idea of regular dictionaries and why and how you use them.

When I explained what a Bible dictionary was, Arianna was very intrigued.  So I then called out some places, names, concepts and had her look through the book and see if she could find them.  Once she started she realized that the book was alphabetical.  I told her that was a good observation, but that all 'dictionaries' are alphabetical.

Audrie even took time to scan through all the pictures naming off all the things she knew (like Noah and his ark.)  She looked so cute when I captured this picture of her studying the book.

I also had her say the letter as she came to the different section as well as it's sound so she could practice her recognition and sounds.

I do see that this will come to be a great resource in the very near future.  I can even see worksheets in my mind that I can create ... hmmm ... now that has me thinking.

My Thoughts:
The Holman Illustrate Bible Dictionary for Kids is definitely one resource I would suggest every household have.   I believe it will help the Bible come to life in a new and exciting way.  I'm including one more picture of the inside, but you can take a look at a sample of the book online.  That's only a sneak peek, but I'm sure you'd agree that this is one book that should be on your bookshelves. 

I also found the Holman Bible Concordance for Children also offered by Lifeway Christian Stores that would be another great resource.  If you would like to read what others had to say about this book, please go check out the TOS Crew site.

*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

1 comment:

The Crazy Mom said...

Very informative review!!! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker