Monday, January 10, 2011

Easy Classical History Schedule - A New TOS Review!

As most of you probably already know, Stephen and I use a classical style of homeschooling as our basis for all we do.  We love it!  It fits us, our personalities and what we feel we want and need to offer to our children.  Having said that, I was given the opportunity to review the Early Modern History Schedule from Easy Classical.

The Product:
So you might be thinking, "What exactly is a history schedule?"  Well it's more like a guide.  Easy Classical has put together all the resources and planned out your weeks (36 to be exact) to fit within the classical model that is based heavily on the information found in Susan Wise Bauer's book The Well-Trained Mind: A Guide to Classical education at Home.  They have created these guides primarily for K - 6, or the grammar and logic stages.

This particular schedule covers from the time of the Explorer's through 1815 and comes in both a digital version ($29.95) and a notebook version ($35.95).  You get each week planned out for you including history, writing, geography, and read aloud books.  They also include projects, comprehension questions, a comprehension quiz and shopping lists so you know what supplies that will be needed for the upcoming week. 

My Experience and Thoughts:
I really liked this schedule/guide.  It sure will help when we get to this time period.  I liked that all the books that you would or could read were all there at the beginning written out for you.  Then all I have to do is see if I have it already (since we have a little library of our own) or search the online library catalog and reserve the book for the appropriate week.

I also liked that little projects for the weeks, the sketches that are at the end of the guide and the geography songs (which incorporates art and music for the week too.)

One thing I did not like as much is how the guide is broken down.  For instance this one starts at the Explorer time period and goes through 1815.  As someone who uses The Well-Trained Mind as my "classical Bible" I adhere to the breakdowns found in the book which are somewhat different then those I can see in this guide.  However, there are many other schedules/guides available which do cover the other time periods.

You can read the introductions sheet here or you can go and see samples of the actual schedules here.  They even have one of their sketches available for you to look at.  You can view the entire list of living books that you will need to use for this guide,  I know that this has been an eye opener to me and I plan to research all that Easy Classical has to offer (since they have writing schedules, geography schedules, and science schedules also.) 

I hope you read what others have thought about the Early Modern History Schedule over at the Homeschool Crew Blog.


*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review. Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of my reviews. My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker