Thursday, January 27, 2011

Back on the Saving Wagon

Well, it's been a while since I had a post about grocery savings.  That's mainly because I've gotten so far behind in cutting and keeping track of my coupons that it was impossible to figure out.  I'm not yet "up-to-date" with my coupons, but I'm at least getting back into it.

So what's better then a great saving trip?  Nothing!  So I scoured the adds and put together my needed lists from what was on sale and made a list for Walgreens and for Publix.

My Publix trips had to be divided into two due to time and because some of the sales were only for Saturday and Sunday so I chose to go Saturday.  My Saturday trip I spent $21.77 and saved $28.56 which is a whopping 57% savings!  Woo Hoo!!!  My second Publix trip wasn't as great a savings, but it was still about 50% (I seem to have misplaced that receipt so you'll just have to take my word on it.)

So why the difference in savings?  Because the second trip I purchased items that did not have a coupon and weren't on 'sale'.  They were needed items and sometimes those items skew the percentages of sales.  But, anytime you can save over half of your bill you are doing GREAT!!

The Walgreens trip was a good trip.  However, when you shop there you have to be sure to do separate orders to save the most.  If you already have Register Rewards (Walgreens coupons) to start with that makes it better, but I hadn't been in a while so I had none.

I made four transactions and purchased - Tide, 2 Nyquils, 2Dayquils, a Gilette Fusion Razor, Cascade Dishwasher tabs, and a trial size Thermacare.  I had to purchase 3 "filler" items (cashews and hand sanitizer) which I didn't need, but in order to use multiple coupons you have to have multiple items.  In total I paid only $28.11 instead of $63.89.  I think that difference is AWESOME!!  That's a 65% savings.

So if you are not a 'couponer' then maybe you should look into it.  You don't have to buy a paper (although I do get the weekend paper just for the coupons.)  You can get a LOT of coupons online (unless you have a LINUX system like me then you have issues, but that's another post.)  Couponing can help save your family money that you can then put toward something else.  I'd love to answer any questions or point you to my favorite couponing sites, so I hope to hear from you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love saving at the grocery store! And since I never get to do it anymore - because all we eat is produce - I really miss out on all the fun!!!
HOWEVER, you just encouraged me to write a post about one of my more frequent trips to the store. I spent $28, and saved $103!!!With no coupons! YEAH! You'll have to read the post to see how I did it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker