Thursday, December 2, 2010

2010 Holiday Bliss - Dec 2



Yesterday a new meme called Holiday Bliss started over at the Garden of Learning. If you would like to join in just go to her site and read the rules and jump on in.

Yesterday, I told you about our tradition of celebrating Hanukkah. Sometimes Hanukkah doesn't even come in December and sometimes it coincides with Christmas. However, this year ti started early (last night at sundown to be exact) and I was totally unprepared.

This year we have not had a lot of extra monies so we were planning on just lighting the candles and saying prayers. However, unbeknownst to my husband and I, my children were planning something on their own (even thought they really didn't even realize it was Hanukkah yet.)

They wanted to watch a holiday video each day up until Christmas like a countdown to Christmas - a video advent of sorts. So my mother-in-law helped them wrap all these holiday videos (that she had on hand), pick their order and number them so that I (the mom) could open each one for "my present" and then they get the enjoyment of watching. When I told them that they were starting this video countdown on the day Hanukkah was starting they were very excited. They then told me this year they were giving the Hanukkah presents. Somehow, I do not really get their meaning behind this interesting idea they have had, but my girls are creative.

So starting yesterday we I opened up the present and they got to watch a video. Yesterday was Veggie Tales Saint Nicholas. The really enjoyed that video, but it kept blacking out (the picture was totally gone.) At least the sound stayed in tact so I told them to pretend like they were in the olden days and to visualize what the speakers were talking about like they used to when they listened to radio theater. That kept them even quieter during the "Black outs."

Today's video was called "The Gift" by CBN Productions a Storyteller Cafe episode. They enjoyed it. Some of the videos I've been told they have seen, but it's been a while (probably since last year) and some they have never seen. I have no idea what is in any of the packages and the girls seem to think that is the best part.

Do you have any favorite children's videos you watch during the holidays? What about favorite shows or movies? I have some, but for some reason I can not think of their titles right now. I guess today's holiday bliss is being able to type up some blog posts and check emails and pay bills while my children enjoy their holiday video of the day. :)

2 comments:

Vickie said...

We have a whole collection of Christmas videos. What an awesome idea to wrap them and then be surprised what to watch. I have a hard time deciding which one is next. Then throwing in a new one, wrapped, how much fun would that be!!!! My favorites of course being Miracle on 34th Street (the original) and I love all the Santa Claus episodes with Tim Allen and.....

Catherine said...

Oh, i love the Christmas movies. What a fun idea!

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker