Monday, November 15, 2010

Making Dolls From the Past - New TOS Review!

When I first told my daughters that we had gotten a review for a doll they were very excited.  Then I went on to tell them that we were going to make a doll that Laura Ingalls might have played with.  The reason for this is that Arianna had just recently finished the first 3 books of the Little House series, and both Arianna and Audrie go around the house pretending to be the girls in the Little House Books.

So we received a Corn Husk Doll from Corps of Re-Discovery.  They make kits that help children discover America the way they would have played and lived during those frontier and pioneer times.


The Product:
Each kit is only $4.95 for either a boy or girl doll.  It includes all the materials needed to make one doll - fabric, string, and corn husks.  They also include directions with some figure drawings for the steps. 

Our Experience:
When I first got the  package opened I had Arianna read through all the instructions so we would have an idea of what we would be doing.  As she was reading I realized that we weren't going to be able to just dive in and start creating our doll.  (I should have thought about that, but ...)  So I went searching around for something to lie our corn husks in.  We found a baking dish so then we were in business.


I made sure that dad was home while doing this activity for two reasons.  One so he could take pictures.  Secondly, because he's better at putting things together.  And I am very thankful he was there.  I had some trouble understanding the directions after Arianna had read them. 

After we soaked our corn husks (for a very long hour) we were ready to start.  I got out a sheet pan so we could separate out the longer husks from the shorter ones and to see if any of them had been torn.   Then we followed the directions working slowly so as to make sure we wouldn't miss a step.

 


After about forty minutes (which is a little shorter then the directions said it would take) we had completed our doll.  We then put her aside to allow her to completely dry.  here they are with their finished doll.  They were very happy to have her.  Don't you think?



Once we were completed we realized we may have enough materials to make a "baby."  The next day while the girls were out, daddy spent some time putting their "baby" (now just a child) corn husk doll together.  Now each of my girls will have one to play with.
 









We have not been able to sew the apron or scarf yet, but that mainly is because Arianna has to get some "lessons" in sewing.  I'm planning on doing it with her this week so I'll post a picture of the mom (and child) fully dressed later this week.

Our Thoughts:
I thought that the instructions were clear, but that the pictures were very hard to follow.  I also do not think that Arianna (who is 7) would have been able to complete that doll on her own.  Maybe in a few years, but not now.

The cost for this kit and many of their other products are very reasonable.  I plan on using them later on when we get to this time period.

Overall we had fun.  The girls love the dolls and I see many hours of Little House re-enactments in our future.  Be sure to check out other reviews of the Corps of Re-Discovery products over on the Crew site.  We did not all get the same thing.



*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review.  Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of  my reviews.  My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

3 comments:

Martha said...

I enjoyed your review.

The doll turned out very nicely. I have thought about making cornhusk dolls with my children, but hadn't hunted down the cornhusks yet. Maybe we will have to try this kit.

Sheri said...

I love how it became a family thing-and the baby is cute-we tossed out our poss. baby scraps-darn it. This is definitely a 2 person project, and I love how she came out. Nice review.

Rodna Allman said...

Sounds like a lot of fun.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker