Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Have You Met Ben? - A DNG Review

This past week we had been working on another Download-N-Go.  This was Arianna's introduction to the great thinkers of our country's beginnings.  We were (and still are a little bit this week) learning about Benjamin Franklin.

One of the reasons we are still working on it is that a LOT of the books I had to rent from the library were not coming from my local library, but from various libraries throughout the state!  I even had 2 more come in today.  So this week, due to Thanksgiving (yum!), we will be reading the rest of our books and talking more about all the inventions and ideas Benjamin Franklin was a part of.

I know that you all are wondering just what we have been learning, but I can not spoil it all for you.  But here's a little snippet of what each day will entail:

Day 1: Who Was Ben Franklin?
Day 2: People and Places in Ben Franklin’s Life
Day 3: The Accomplishments of Ben Franklin
Day 4: Lessons to Learn From Ben Franklin
Day 5: Remembering Ben Franklin

And did you realize that old Ben was homeschooled?  Actually, he schooled himself and taught himself most everything he wanted to know.  My daughter was very pleased to hear he was schooled at home like her.  It helps learning about others who are similar to you, especially when it comes to homeschooling.

I told you earlier we had to request books from our library system because our local library (which is very small) doesn't have a lot of these books.  But we have an awesome library loan system so we can get most every book.  Well, my husband was helping me place holds on all the books and he came across one called Now & Ben The Modern Inventions of Benjamin Franklin, which was not on the book list from DNG.  However, this is a very cool book and you might want to see if your library (or library system) has access to it.

I expect that by the end of this holiday week that my daughter will have come up with something that she will want to invent.  That will be all due to the wonderful impression that Ben Franklin has had on her.  Maybe you have a budding inventor or a world-changing thinker.  This unit study on Ben Franklin is definitely worth your while!  Don't take my word alone ... read what others have said too.

*** I am a member of The Old Schoolhouse 2010-2011 Crew as well as the DNG Review Team and receive free products and services in exchange for a thorough and honest review.  Though I am compensated with free products, I am not compensated in the form of money for any of  my reviews.  My reviews will always reflect my honest opinions, findings, beliefs and experiences with the products and services that I receive.***

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Quick Linker